If you ask a Millennial mom what she wants for Mother’s Day, a spa day might top her list.
New research from The DDB Life Style Study shows more than 70 percent of Millennial moms say their free time is taken up by activities their kids are in. This compares to 47 percent of Boomer moms.
So, a day away from the kids might be exactly what she wants — but not to say she doesn’t love her kids.
The DDB Life Style Study is an annual survey of 600+ questions that began in 1975. The study has been able to show lifestyle changes over the past few decades. A recent segmentation of the research compares Millennial and Boomer mothers’ attitudes toward motherhood.
Denise Delahorne, SVP at DDB Worldwide Communications Group Inc., said marketers should take note of the differences between Millennial and Boomer moms.
“Don’t think every mother is looking for the same thing, regardless of the product,” she said.
For example, Millennial moms are more likely to have young kids. As a result, their needs and desires inherently differ from Boomer moms who have older children.
So, a younger mom is more likely to want something that will make her feel pampered while a Boomer mom might want to go to brunch with her children because she doesn’t get to see them as often. This thought process can extend beyond Mother’s Day, too.
Here are some other differences between Millennial and Boomer moms, according to the study:
- 15 percent of Millennial moms say they do (or would) find parenthood to be a burden compared to 8 percent of Boomer moms
- 72 percent of Millennial moms say they have more childcare responsibilities than their spouse compared to 60 percent of Boomer moms
- 97 percent of Millennial moms say their kids are more important than anyone else compared to 86 percent of Boomer moms
- 30 percent of Millennial moms say they feel like they’ve lost part of their identity because of motherhood compared to 10 percent of Boomer moms
- 32 percent of Millennial moms say they wish they would have waited to have children compared to 13 percent of Boomer moms